I'm Envious of:
At Yahoo! Voices on Friday, the editors announced a brand new "Contributor Spotlight" award and the first winner (not I). The award recognition is certainly nice to receive I'm sure, but the $500 bonus has gotta be the bestest part of it! Though envious I am, it's inspirational too -- like... it's something that I could actually aspire to win someday. The first winner doesn't have a journalism or English degree, hasn't previously worked at or been published in newspapers or magazines. Just a regular person with an expertise in real estate, but without a professional writing background - YaY, an achievable award to GOal for!
Editors can be great, or not:
- YaY: I finished the 2nd of 2 test assignments for the Yahoo! Politics Featured Contributor (FC) program and was accepted! On my Yahoo! Contributor profile, there's now a snazzy "YFC Politics" badge - woohoo!! It means I'll get at least one guaranteed assignment each month that pays more upfront ($15) than regular assignments ($5-$10).
- Boo: Not long after I got the FC, I got a Finance article submission rejected as "topic not searchable enough". It was about getting a better discount for an online subscription after cancelling a free trial. Well, at least it wasn't rejected for being badly written or something like that, I suppose. I may try resubmitting it to Yahoo! Voices instead of Yahoo! Finance, or I might use it as a blog post.
- My Very 1st paid Sponsored Tweet was tweeted!
Made a whole 49 cents, but hey -- it's a start!! And a really easy, breezy tweet it was:
What I really, really, really like about this whole sponsored tweet thing:
- Clicks on the link don't matter, ya get paid a flat rate just for the tweet!
- The tweet content is provided, just tweek it a bit to suit your voice.
- I don't actually tweet the tweet, it's auto-tweeted via their app.
- I'm not pestering people with ad tweets all day, it's just tweeted once.
- The flat rate price is "suggested", but you can set it at whatever rate ya want. Suggested rate seems to be sorta based on how many followers ya have -- mine just went up to 52 cents.
- a Forbes editor actually replied to my tweet!
Thanks much for visiting & have a great Memorial Day long weekend!
(F is gonna be for "Format" -- there's gotta be an easier way to get this blog post formatted better)